You should have a contract, no doubt here. But maybe you need permits as well. Something to be discovered prior to the start of construction.
A bathroom permit in one of the Bay area towns will ask for
- A completed building permit application.
- Three (3) completed, securely bounded sets of plans. (Minimum scale 1⁄4’’=1’ )
- Existing and Proposed floor plan.
- Call out the square footage of area and label adjoining rooms.
- Cover Sheet to include the following: (a) Project address, (b) Owner’s name, (c) Scope of work included in this permit. Example: new windows, new electrical service, skylights, etc.
- Show all applicable work in detail e.g., electrical, plumbing, exhaust fan, windows, etc.
You have to decide, who is securing it.